Shopping for the best mattress online is a waking nightmare, and picking the wrong one can literally cause bad dreams or kill your back. It doesn’t help that the online market is flooded with options, or that there are more dedicated mattress review sites than stars in the sky. It’s a mess.
Mattress shopping today is much more complicated. Not only are there more designs and styles, but you can shop at online stores that will deliver a new bed right to your door, sight unseen. How do you choose from such a wide variety of models and companies, and which mattresses are the best available right now?
There are several factors to consider when purchasing a new mattress. Balancing every consideration isn’t necessary, but understanding what to look for can help you shop smarter.
- Price – No matter how highly rated a mattress is, buyers on a budget will be limited in their range of choices. It’s best to determine your price range before shopping, limiting your selections to the models that are affordable.
- Warranty – Most people keep their mattresses for a long time, so purchase a mattress with at least a ten-year warranty to cover defects.
- Return Policy – It’s difficult to know how a mattress will perform after a quick check in the showroom. If you get your mattress home and find that it doesn’t meet your needs, you will want the assurance that you can return or exchange it easily.
- Store Models – Many people don’t realize that different retailers have their own versions of top-selling models. If you find a mattress that you love at one store, don’t assume that the specs are identical at a competitor’s location.
Today’s Best Creative Solution make a variety of mattress types, and there is a broad range of quality among each product category.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, Best Creative Solution may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them.
1. The Best Mattress Pads overfilled microplush topper that’ll be hypoallergenic *and* double as a mattress pad, so your comfy bases are covered.
Fits mattresses up to 18″ deep and filled with loft-retaining, polyester filling.
Promising review: “I thought about ordering a size up to make sure the topper reached the edges of the bed, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover the topper fit perfectly. You can tell it is very well-made and adds just the right touch for the memory foam bed I blindly purchased, which was too hard. My back no longer hurts and I feel rested when I wake up now. This microplush topper turned my overly hard rock of a mattress into a dream bed in comparison to what it was. Truth be told, I may order a second to layer it to make it even fluffier because the pockets of the sheet itself are so deep. I’ll be able to layer it without worrying one side will pop off or something. Very pleased. My puppy loves it too!” —SG
2. The Best Mattress 3-inch dense memory foam pad for a conforming hug meant to relieve pressure points.
Promising review: “I bought this for my wife. She’s pregnant and her hips had been aching sleeping on our mattress. Guess what? She says the pain is gone since we’ve been sleeping on this topper. The topper arrived quickly. I unpacked it and laid it on our floor so it could expand and air out. It didn’t take long at all for it to expand. We put it on our bed the same evening it arrived at our house. I personally didn’t find the smell to be too strong or offensive. I noticed it for 2–3 days, but that’s about it. I’ve been sleeping better since getting the topper. It’s prevented my shoulders from falling asleep when I sleep on my sides. I weigh about 200 lbs, my wife weighs about 150 lbs. (five months pregnant). I’m glad I didn’t buy the 2-inch topper because I don’t think that would have been thick enough.” —Ryan M. Healy
3. Best Mattress Pads gel-infused memory foam number to help you find the perfect position for sleeping — even if you’re nine months pregnant.
Made of a ventilated design infused with gel and comes with a 3-year warranty.
Promising review: “So we’ve now had this for roughly a few months now and it’s the best sleep I’ve gotten in a long time. I’m currently in my ninth month of pregnancy so finding a comfortable sleeping position without a pillow is nearly impossible, but I’m able to sleep a bit better with this on our bed. The only downside is it tears fairly easily, so if you have dogs like us (or even cats) I would be extra careful with having them on the bed due to nails. I highly recommend purchasing!” —Michaela
4. The Best ~cooling~ bamboo topper with a fitted skirt to keep everything in place and counteract any tendencies to sleep hot.
Made of hypoallergenic down alternative RevoLoft Cluster Fiber and fits mattresses up to 18″ deep.
Promising review: “We went from a traditional mattress to a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress (with a cooling gel layer) and we NEVER would have bought it if we realized it retains your body heat and holds it against you. It was too hot even in the winter and I’m always cold. I trusted the reviews of the this bamboo mattress topper and am SO happy I did. It made such a huge difference… I’ve been using it for over a month now and I haven’t sweated once!!! We bought a split king so our mattress covers are twin XL.” —Michelle